Sunday 5 January 2014

Dates and raisin muffins

   For this CCC Challenge, I took my help from Morphy Richards Recipe Guide, that dates back to twenty years :)  Thanks to my dear mom, who saved it for me :)  From this book, I choosed Dates and Raisin muffins.  There has been an usual dilemma between cupcakes and muffins, isn't it?  So, let me resolve this before getting back to my post :)



         

With this tabular column shown above, we can see an clean introduction about muffins, yes they are quickbreads that are served at breakfast.  I completely followed the recipe (Apart from adding additional nuts, which I felt would heighten up the 'crunchy'effect on these) And so, the end-product was fabulous, we all enjoyed them as an lovely treat.  My daughter has declared them as an ideal bournvita-time snack :P  :P


These muffins are very dense and yes, just half of very single muffin would easily fill up your stomach.   The dates, raisin and nuts added paired well with the batter.  What surprised me the most, is their moist bite and an crumble texture that came out with butterless, minimal oil-used batter. They were too easy to make, because unlike cupcakes, they didn't require any icing, nor creaming  in initial stage.  I would also say that these are super-time saver :P  :P 


One challenging aspect of this recipe, is that they called for well-beaten egg.  I never had, heard about well-beaten egg (All I had known is stiff-peaked whites :P)  Nor were any videos to explain regarding the same.  But, wiki answers provided three important clues/guide to an well-beaten egg.  According to them, an egg can be termed as 'well-beaten' when,
  • The beaten egg becomes frothy
  • The beaten egg gains volume
  • The beaten egg turns pale yellow colour

And, I found all three points concluding happily with my result :P  This well-beaten egg is an realization for the moistened and crumbly effect these muffins had.   I am now, treasuring the book :P

Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients required

Dry ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups of Flour/Maida 
  • 3 tbspn of Powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp of Baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp of salt
  • 1/2 cup of chopped dates, raisin
  • 1/2 cup of thinly sliced nuts like cashew, pista, almonds (this is optional ingredient)

Wet ingredients
  • 1 Egg (that is well-beaten)
  • 3/4 cup of milk
  • 1/3 cup oil/melted butter (I used refined oil)


Method

At first, I gathered all my dry ingredients together.  Added flour, baking powder, sugar and salt  and sieved them, to this I added dates and nuts mix.  


Pre-heat the oven to 130 degree celsius.  In an separate bowl, I cracked open an egg and started beating them.


After five minutes of beating, I got the specified,'well-beaten egg' that increased in volume, became frothy and changed colour.



It was like this...


 Now to our dry ingredients, I made an well and added all wet ingredients together, like well-beaten egg, milk, oil.



Gradually mixed them till dry ingredients are moistened.  


Poured them onto paper cups lined mould and baked for 25 minutes at 130 degree celsius.  Cool them on wire rack.  


Enjoyed them with cup of tea :P  Happy Baking :)  :)


Linking this to Srivalli's CCC Challenge









23 comments:

  1. Wow wonderful muffins Arthy. Dates and nuts are always good for our health. Using tht makes ur cupcakes healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy raisins and the table is quite useful for me.am a novice baker aks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasty & lovely muffins...........
    Shobha
    www.shobhapink.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very delicious Arthy the muffins turned out too good n yum; loving the recipe :) will try InshAllah :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious. Thanks for the chart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice info about muffin and cup cake....muffin looks just perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful muffins arthy and thanks for the information about muffins and cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving the simplicity of the recipe and for the wonderful outcome. Should be able to replicate and shall give a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. tasty muffin and nice comparison between muffin and cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muffins looks so yummy and inviting....well explained too.. Am nominating you for the "Liebster award".. Please follow the link to grab your award.
    http://abowlofcurry.blogspot.in/2014/01/my-first-ever-award-liebster-award.html
    wishing you a happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much Preetha...This is my first award <3 am loving them already

      Delete
  11. Yummy muffin neat presentation with very useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the table, Arthy. Muffins look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this combo!
    www.sailajakitchen.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. Muffins seem to have turned out very well..

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look really good and good info on cupcakes and muffins...

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys..
Kindly drop by ur suggestions for my post... Ur beloved comments/suggestions mean a lot to me!

nRelate Posts Only