Wednesday 28 August 2013

Tomato chutney - Potluck party, cyber style

    When I first looked into my partner's(Sutapa Ghosh) dish, I was happier  thinking that making chutney would be easier. Alas, this tomato chutney cooked in bengali style is not  an easy one.  The important ingredient required was ammsattva or mango leather which I had hardly heard off.  At this time, Sutapa Ghosh of sutapasindian blog suggested other names of ammsattva.  In Andhra pradesh, these ammsattva or mango leather is called as Mamidi Tandra or mango jelly.

      According to wiki, they are fruit leather, mixed with concentrated sugar solution, sometimes also an chemical called potassium metabisulphite and is poured over bamboo mats.  The texture of prepared mamidi tandra is unique because it is  made by consequent layering (only after before added layer dries away) over a period of month.  Over ripe thotapuri mangoes are specially used for this purpose.






    And whatmore can one expect? I rushed to all branded super-markets the following week-end, Reliance mart, Ratnadeep, More ....... God, had no luck at all !!!  My husband called me crazy :)  I didn't give up, visited Spencers supermarket few kilometers away and yes, yes, yes found them!!! :) :) :) But one difficult decision was to buy an half an kilo(which was only available) mango jelly packet (Which means I must find some more recipes involving them ). 





      With such an contented heart and smile on my face, I continued to prepare my partner's Tomato chutney, bengali style.  This chutney is also called as 'MADHURENE SAMAPYAT' in bengali language and this completes an bengali course meal.  Usually sweet and had at end of the meal, this chutney was an definite hit with my daughter, Varsha.  She luved to have it with roti/chapathi!  Thanks to Sutapa Ghosh, atlast found an ideal, healthy side-dish for my kid, who so far preferred having jam/cheese/mayo with her dinner-time course.

Ingredients required

  • 1 tsp of oil
  • 1/2 tsp rai/mustard seeds
  • 1 dry red chilly, broken into half
  • 5-6 curry leaves
  • 150 gm finely chopped tomatos
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup mamidi tandra/mango jelly cut into small squares
  • 1/4 cup of finely grated jaggery
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbspn cornflour slurry (that is 1 tbspn cornflour dissolved in 1 tbspn water/milk)

Method

Heat oil in kadaai, when it is hot temper with mustard seeds.  Wait till they splutter, then add red chilly and curry leaves.




Add on chopped tomatos, give an quick stir.  Also add salt and turmeric powder and cook tomatos till they turn mushy.


Also add in water, jaggery pieces along with mango jelly.  Cook for five to six minutes in simmer flame till jaggery melts or till semi-cooking of mango jelly is done.


Finally, add in cornflour slurry and cook till chutney thickens.  Serve hot with rice/roti etc


I enjoyed it with my family, hope you give an try!


\






5 comments:

  1. very very tangy and delicious chutney recipe dear :) looks super delicious :)
    http://desifiesta.blogspot.com/2013/08/mediterranean-chickpea-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh..trouble you went through, but hey your daughter enjoyed it..:) yummy chutney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a delicious chutney,have tried mango jelly once..can imagine the taste and flavor of this chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious chutney looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys..
Kindly drop by ur suggestions for my post... Ur beloved comments/suggestions mean a lot to me!

nRelate Posts Only